Today Ghostcrawler posted the first official word we’ve gotten on how pet talents are going to work in Mists of Pandaria:
Since the system is currently a little hard to ascertain in beta, I’ll try and summarize the basics. Hopefully we’ll have this working in a build or two.
- Every pet has 3 specs: Ferocity, Tenacity and Cunning. These work much like class specs, with a similar UI.
- Pets come with the spec you’d expect (Ferocity for kitties) but you can change it. If you want a tanking cat or a DPS crab, you can. If you have a favorite pet, you can just always use that one and swap the spec around.
- I hope to see A LOT of DPS crabs.
- Each spec comes with 2-3 active and 2-3 passive abilities. We took a careful look at what pet talents most hunters were taking and tried to take the best of those. Things like Roar of Sacrifice, Last Stand and Heart of the Phoenix made the cut.
- We didn’t think we were getting a ton of gameplay out of the pet talents on live — players interacted with them even less than the class talents — and we didn’t think pets needed the full tiered system like the Mists talent implementation, so we decided the best way to offer pet customization is to let hunters choose their pet mostly because of how it looks (and its one special ability) and not from its role.
Although I don’t know if this information is going to change or not, I can tell you what the current spec talents seem to be for pets in beta. Err … well, it will take me a moment to get that info together. Next post!
In the meantime, can I just say that I have waited forever for my bloody DPS crab!
If there is one thing I am really hating with the Mists of Pandaria expansion, it’s the new pet battle system. Now before you exclaim in surprise and disgust, let me explain.
I’m usually use the word ‘pet’ to mean ‘hunter pet’. Other communities (hi, Breanni!) usually use ‘pet’ to mean ‘companion pet’. When we overlap, we need to be clear about which we mean … but it usually works out okay.
Now the word ‘pet’ is all over the place because of pet battles – and it’s driving me crazy. MMO Champion had a headline today about “WoWDB Pet Pages“ that included two big, exciting images that read “Pet List” and “Pet Abilities”.
I got excited! Of course I got excited! Often the first hint we have of a new hunter pet family comes from a data-mined family skill!
But no … sadly the news was all about companion pets. Sadly for me, anyway – I suspect Breanni was happy as a pet clam. *sigh*
So yes, I am looking forward to playing with the Companion Pet Battle system. But I wish Blizzard had chosen to make the name a little more clear. My nerves can’t take much more misplaced excitement.
I’ve finally got a preliminary Mists of Pandaria page up on Petopia. Right now, of course, there’s not a lot of solid info on new pets because things in the new zones can’t be tamed yet. But at least I have some pictures up! I’ll be adding more details on the particular beasts themselves tonight, and hopefully a FAQ about hunter changes as well.
I make a stunning crane, yes?
There are some pools in the new Pandarian area with a very Ranma effect: when you enter the water you become something else. A frog, a skunk, or for this image, a crane.
(Wheatgrass is the turtle. He’s very lucky.)