Today Ghostcrawler posted the first official word we’ve gotten on how pet talents are going to work in Mists of Pandaria:
Since the system is currently a little hard to ascertain in beta, I’ll try and summarize the basics. Hopefully we’ll have this working in a build or two.
- Every pet has 3 specs: Ferocity, Tenacity and Cunning. These work much like class specs, with a similar UI.
- Pets come with the spec you’d expect (Ferocity for kitties) but you can change it. If you want a tanking cat or a DPS crab, you can. If you have a favorite pet, you can just always use that one and swap the spec around.
- I hope to see A LOT of DPS crabs.
- Each spec comes with 2-3 active and 2-3 passive abilities. We took a careful look at what pet talents most hunters were taking and tried to take the best of those. Things like Roar of Sacrifice, Last Stand and Heart of the Phoenix made the cut.
- We didn’t think we were getting a ton of gameplay out of the pet talents on live — players interacted with them even less than the class talents — and we didn’t think pets needed the full tiered system like the Mists talent implementation, so we decided the best way to offer pet customization is to let hunters choose their pet mostly because of how it looks (and its one special ability) and not from its role.
Although I don’t know if this information is going to change or not, I can tell you what the current spec talents seem to be for pets in beta. Err … well, it will take me a moment to get that info together. Next post!
In the meantime, can I just say that I have waited forever for my bloody DPS crab!