Void Storage is a handy new feature coming in Patch 4.3. Essentially, it’s long-term item storage with some restrictions, up to 80 items, that you pay for an item at a time.
First, the prices. NOTE: These may change! At the moment you pay 100 gold to unlock Void Storage and 25 gold for each item you deposit. Withdrawing an item is free. [source]
A number of people on the Public Test Realms (PTR) keep asking: What is Void Storage good for? My answer: You must not be much of a pack rat if you need to ask that. *grin*
Void Storage is very handy for storing those things you just can’t get rid of but never actually use. Since that accounts for more than half of my normal bank space … yeah.
In particular, this includes a lot of the 36 tabards I have collected but don’t like enough to wear. Unfortunately, there are some restrictions on Void Storage that make it a less than perfect place to shove all those tabards. At the moment, I can only store 20 of my 36 tabards.
NOTE: These are not all the restrictions, just the ones I hit while trying to deposit tabards. Also make certain you read the note below!
- You can only deposit items that can be soulbound. That means no guild tabard. It also means that you can’t store those snazzy doublets from the Argent Tournament souvenir vendor.
- You cannot deposit unique items. At the moment, this rules out:
- The Burning Crusade reputation tabards such as the Skyguard Tabard and Sporregar Tabard.
- The Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm champion tabards such as the Tabard of the Ebon Blade and the Tabard of the Guardians of Hyjal.
- Most PvP tabards like the Scout’s Tabard.
- Event tabards like the Tabard of the Protector.
- And probably some others.
Given the fact that you can only wear one tabard at a time no matter how hard you try, I don’t know how this will effect tabards. I suspect that the ones which require a reputation to buy – such as the champion tabards – are marked unique more to keep you from accidentally buying another than to keep you from owning two of them.
If that’s the case, we might see the vast majority of the unique tabards become unique-equipped so that they can be void stored.
The event tabards, on the other hand - like the Tabard of the Protector that you got “For Heroism at the Battle for the Dark Portal” – had a very good reason to be unique at the time. But … since they are soulbound and you can’t obtain them anymore, I hope that Blizzard will un-uniquify these as well.
We should get more details as the PTR marches on – but regardless, I am looking forward to clearing out those 20 tabards from my bank. (Not to mention the other 48 slots I have already cleared out on the PTR.)