Zarhym has just posted this about Blizzard’s feelings on the worgen pet:
The worgen should not technically belong to any of the pet families and was therefore removed. This means the pet no longer has access to pet talents or abilities. Whether or not similar circumstances with hunter pets in the past have occurred isn’t really relevant. Given the nature of the creature that was tamed in this case, we feel it should not belong to any of the eligible pet families from which a hunter can choose his or her combat companion.
There are several other responses from Zarhym in this thread. The most important so far:
It may yet still be removed altogether. I don’t have a final decision on that to share with you.
According to multiple reports we are getting now from the US and EU realms — and which I can confirm with my own worgen on Kaet — there has been a fundamental change in the nature of the tamed worgen which renders them somewhat useless.
- Worgen cannot be fed. You get the ominous message that “You do not have a pet.”
- Worgen do not have abilities or talents. You cannot get at their spellbook tab or the pet talent tab with one by your side.
- Worgen cannot be buffed. I can still use Mend Pet on mine, though, and for the moment the Glyph of Men Pet still seems to work to increase happiness.
- Worgen cannot be renamed, either normally or with a Certificate of Ownership.
- Worgen do not benefit from normal pet scaling. He has no resistances.
- Garwal can no longer be tamed in either form. Note that Beast Lore still says he can be tamed, but it lies.
As far as I can tell, this change to the worgen did not require realm downtime — since things were normal immediately after the downtime this morning in the US, and since things have changed in the EU, where they haven’t even had maintenance yet.
It looks to me like this may be a server-side change, perhaps to the underlying ‘pet-ness’ of the worgen. This also explains the fact that Beast Lore still says that Garwal can be tamed, since I believe Beast Lore uses client-side data. (Note, however, that he still shows up with the label ‘Wolf’ in the stable.)
On the good side, for now we still have a worgen-shaped pet. On the bad side, it is effectively a vanity pet.
(My thanks to Ashariel, who was kind enough to fill me in on the situation when I arrived to check out Garwal this afternoon. *grin*)