We have an initial response from Blizzard about the fate of the worgen pet. Zarhym posted the following just a bit ago:
It is not intended that Garwal can be tamed while in worgen form and will be addressed via a hotfix in the near future. When we have determined how to handle situations where hunters have already tamed Garwal we will let you know.
There are two things to get from this post:
- Soon we will no longer be able to tame Garwal in such a way that he gets stuck in his worgen form. (Whether this means that they make him untameable or just fix the ‘getting stuck’ part, we don’t yet know.)
- Blizzard has not yet decided what to do about the worgen that have already been tamed. But believe you me, we are keeping a close eye on this question in particular.
Thanks to Rikaku for posting about this, as far as I can tell, mere seconds after it happened.
(Ironically, I’ve been killed twice by Garwal while I typed this up. I suppose I shouldn’t go AFK at his spawn spot, eh?)
 Ancilorn posted essentially the same information on the English EU forums:
As we’re sure you know, taming this NPC is unintended and a hotfix will address this. As for the future of tamed worgen, nothing has yet to be decided. The matter is being discussed and if we have something to share about the future of these pets, we will endeavour to do so.
I’m including this here both for completeness and so I have a handy link to both posts in case I need them later.
The July 7th maintenance on the US realms did not affect the worgen in any way that we can tell. Tamed worgen are still worgen, and Garwal can still be tamed both as a wolf and as a worgen.
We’re getting multiple reports of missing functionality with the worgen, which I can confirm myself. I just logged into Sentinels and found that:
- When I try to feed my worgen, I get the ominous message that “You do not have a pet.”
- With the worgen by my side, I do not have a pet talent tab and therefore cannot set his talents.
- Similarly, with my worgen by my side I do not have a pet spellbook tab. In addition, the only actions on the pet command bar for the worgen are Attack/Follow/Stay and Aggressive/Defensive/Passive — no skills at all.