RFC stands for “Request For Comments” — which basically means that I need your help (again!). I’m getting a lot of questions about the pros and cons of each pet family and in particular the pet family skills. But there’s no way that I really test all the pet families in every situation myself, so I want to hear about your experiences with them! (And yes, with 32 pet families this could take awhile.)
Today’s RFC: The Carrion Bird family and their Demoralizing Screech skill.
Prior to Patch 3.0, there was a well-known trio of flappy pets made popular by their Screech skill: Owls, Bats and Carrion Birds. Of the three, Owls were arguably the most popular, with Bats and Carrion Birds vying for second.
But the huge changes to pets in Patch 3.0 changed Owls into Birds of Prey and replaced Screech for both Owls and Bats. Carrion Birds, though, the sometime-overlooked and rather ugly vultures, soldiered on with Screech, renamed Demoralizing Screech.
If you’ve had any experience hunting with Carrion Birds in a post-Patch 3.0 world, take a moment to comment and let me know what you think. In particular, I’d like to know:
- What are the pros and cons of Carrion Birds in general?
- What are the pros and cons of Demoralizing Screech in particular?
- Are Carrion Birds particularly good (or bad) for soloing, grouping, raiding, PvP, tanking, damage-dealing, etc?
- What talents do you suggest for Carrion Birds? Are there any required talents, or talents you should definitely skip?
- Do you know any clever strategies for hunting with Carrion Birds, or are there any particular gotchas to watch out for?
- Would you recommend a Carrion Bird?
(These are just guideline questions — you need’t try to address each one in turn. And yes, this post looks a lot like the other RFCs — after all I’m asking the same questions!)
I’m especially looking for input from people who have been hunting with Carrion Birds for the past month or so (since Patch 3.0), but even if you haven’t, feel free to throw if your theorycrafting — just let us know whether your advice is based on experience or spreadsheets (or both)!
This post will remain here as a reference for the future, and additionally I’ll try to distill the basics down into a brief summary for use on Petopia.
As always, thanks for your help!