I had a very unexpected e-mail just a few minutes ago: Patch 2.4.2 is apparently coming to a public test realm (PTR) near us — soon!
Although the PTR forum is still dead to the world and the Public Test Realms themselves are not accessible, you can right this instant this download the 2.4.2 client and even copy an existing character to the PTR. (And yes, character copies have been reset since the 2.4 PTR.) Even better, Blizzard has posted 2.4.2 Test Realm Patch Notes, which include some interesting items for hunters.
The hunter tidbits follow:
- Dire Ravens in Blade’s Edge Mountains now tameable.
- Tamed Drywallow Snappers now will know Bite 5 (instead of Claw 5.)
- Bow of Searing Arrows and Red Whelp Gloves will no longer break crowd control effects.
- The Vengeful Gladiator’s Rifle will now play the proper sound when used.
- The Cursed Vision of Sargeras now gives the buff, “Sense Demons” which can be canceled normally. Additionally hunters and druids are able to track two things at once while using the item.
- It is no longer possible for pets to get stuck in place after exiting the Spectral Realm in the Kalecgos encounter.
- The hunter pet ability Growl will no longer scale with pet Attack Power.
So in summary, this is the patch that nerfs our boars but they gave us Dire Ravens (and fixed Drywallow Snappers) to compensate. I don’t think that’s quite a fair trade … but I am pleased to see them fixing very long-term bugs with hunter pets (like the Drywallow Snapper thing) — perhaps it indicates more attention to pets in the near future.
In addition, there are some other changes hidden in these notes that I am very interested to see, even if they aren’t hunter-specific. For instance:
- Items that enchant other items no longer have tradeskill requirements (Mithril Spurs, Shield Spikes, Weapon Chains, etc.).
- Most Main-Hand weapons are now One-Hand weapons.
- Mailboxes can now be tracked on the minimap.
The Main-Hand/One-Hand weapon thing is a little more sweeping that I would have expected in a minor patch …
Anyway, my sincere thanks to Suzi, who (like me) is apparently still up and active at 5:30 am Eastern — and who (unlike me) is paying attention and let me know about the new notes.
 I realized after I posted this that the Dire Ravens as they exist on the live realms right now have a unique skin. (That’s a pic of them above). I can’t wait to see if they retain that skin on the PTR. In fact, who knows — they may even be a new family! It is also possible that the base threat levels for Growl will be adjusted on the PTR, so I’m going to wait and see how things look before I get bitter and jaded. *grin* [/edit]